So when I went on vacation to NC, I picked up a Witch Hunter Robin DVD, volume 2, at McKay's, kind of a used-everything store. Please note that I saw multiple Kamen Rider items, including an SH Figuarts Magnugiga, and I had to say no because I was flying home.
I loved the show when it aired on Adult Swim, and I was never able to get more than just the final DVD. So with this, I started buying more on ebay, and that's where I ran into a problem.
I had issues with the disks. Volumes 1 and 2 don't play in my blu-ray. Another volume that I got from ebay had a corrupted as all hell menu, but the episodes worked just fine. Figuring the problem was that 1 and 2 didn't like a blu-ray player, I tried them in my zombified old laptop, which has a functioning DVD/CD player. No luck.
Then I started to notice the serial numbers on the disks themselves. The later seasons are listed all as "Platinum Edition," as is volume 2, but their serial numbers are about 804142, 80143, and my original DVD at 80145. I'm missing volume 5. But volumes 1 and 2 are 3000 and 3001.
I wondered if maybe the volume 2 I got from McKay's was an old disk put in a newer package, but no. All "Platinum Edition" volume 2 DVDs I see on ebay have the exact same serial number, 3001. And there's no Platinum Edition for volume 1.
My theory is that Bandai Entertainment changed their packaging soon after the release of volume 1, but they didn't update the disks themselves until volume 3. Hence volume 2 being labeled "Platinum" but also 3001. My hope is that the disk update was just to make them compatible with emerging technologies, and that if I use my external DVD writer, I'll be able to play volumes 1 and 2.
I am this close to finally having all of one of my favorite shows collected, and without having to deal with the shame of having to buy a single volume back when that was the only way you could get your shows (especially anime). I do not want to suck it up and buy a complete edition.
I loved the show when it aired on Adult Swim, and I was never able to get more than just the final DVD. So with this, I started buying more on ebay, and that's where I ran into a problem.
I had issues with the disks. Volumes 1 and 2 don't play in my blu-ray. Another volume that I got from ebay had a corrupted as all hell menu, but the episodes worked just fine. Figuring the problem was that 1 and 2 didn't like a blu-ray player, I tried them in my zombified old laptop, which has a functioning DVD/CD player. No luck.
Then I started to notice the serial numbers on the disks themselves. The later seasons are listed all as "Platinum Edition," as is volume 2, but their serial numbers are about 804142, 80143, and my original DVD at 80145. I'm missing volume 5. But volumes 1 and 2 are 3000 and 3001.
I wondered if maybe the volume 2 I got from McKay's was an old disk put in a newer package, but no. All "Platinum Edition" volume 2 DVDs I see on ebay have the exact same serial number, 3001. And there's no Platinum Edition for volume 1.
My theory is that Bandai Entertainment changed their packaging soon after the release of volume 1, but they didn't update the disks themselves until volume 3. Hence volume 2 being labeled "Platinum" but also 3001. My hope is that the disk update was just to make them compatible with emerging technologies, and that if I use my external DVD writer, I'll be able to play volumes 1 and 2.
I am this close to finally having all of one of my favorite shows collected, and without having to deal with the shame of having to buy a single volume back when that was the only way you could get your shows (especially anime). I do not want to suck it up and buy a complete edition.